Please note the following upcoming dates and descriptions for sales tax-free holidays in Virginia and Maryland:
- Virginia: Friday, August 7 to Sunday, August 9
- Maryland: Sunday, August 9 to Sunday, August 15.
These holidays offer periods of time when certain items can be purchased without sales tax in each state. Please see our overview of items eligible for the sales tax-free holiday.
Washington, DC has no such sales tax holiday.
Virginia Sales Tax-Free Holiday (August 7-9)
In Virginia, individuals may purchase qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™️ and Water Sense™️ products without sales tax. Click here to visit the Virginia Tax website for more information.
- School Supplies, Clothing, and Footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™️ and WaterSense™️ Products
- Qualifying Energy Star™️ or WaterSense™️ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
Maryland Sales Tax Free Holiday (August 9-15)
In Maryland, individuals may purchase qualifying clothing and footwear without paying sales tax. The first $40 of a backpack purchase also qualifies for no tax. Click here to visit the Maryland Tax website for more information.
Eligible clothing and footwear includes sweaters, shirts, slacks/jeans, dresses, robes, underwear, belts, and shoes and boots priced up to $100.
Please contact a member of CBM’s tax team at 301.986.0600 for more information.
Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell (CBM) is a professional services firm delivering tax, accounting and business advisory expertise throughout the Mid-Atlantic region from offices in Bethesda, MD and Washington, DC.