Preparing your taxes shouldn’t be difficult. In fact, it should be as easy as possible. Introducing SafeSend Returns™, an automated tax assembly, delivery, signature and tracking system Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, P.C. has made available to significantly improve your experience working with us.
SafeSends gives you the ability to assemble, send, receive and sign your tax return all from the convenience of your computer, tablet or phone. No need for printed documents, stamps, mailings or other resources that used to be essential to the tax planning and preparation experience.
CBM’s tax professionals are happy to introduce SafeSend Returns™ at no extra cost to you. Whether you are an individual taxpayer working with us on your Form 1040 or a business entity responsible for distributing K1s, we have you covered.
1. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. The email will contain a link that is safe to click. You will need to provide the last 4 digits of your SSN and enter an Access Code that will be emailed to you in a separate email.
3. You will gain access to your tax return where you can:
– Download it, review it, print it, etc.
– Electronically sign your e-file authorization forms.
– See if you owe taxes, are receiving any refunds and see your estimated tax payments (if applicable).
4. The IRS requires us to ask you some personal questions to verify your identity so please do not be alarmed of the personal questions.
Questions? No problem. Find answers to frequently asked questions below. Before you do, though, consider reviewing these three videos, which may help you get the answers you need.
Check your spam/junk email folder. You can also search your email for email@example.com. Some email clients hide items they’ve labeled spam or junk, making certain emails difficult to find. If you do not receive your code within the 10-minute time limit, please request another code.
There is currently no SafeSend Returns app available, but the signature process can be completed on any computer, smartphone or tablet via a web browser.
Yes. If you’re using a smartphone or tablet, you may not be able to download and print your return, but you will be able to review and electronically sign it. Don’t worry — you can always download and print your return from your personal computer at a later date.
If estimated payments are included in your review copy, you will automatically receive an email reminder seven days before your payment is due.
CBM will return your source documents to you via separate mailing.
Yes. Email notifications will be sent from CBM at firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend adding this email address to your safe list to prevent the email from getting filtered to spam/junk.
Yes. SafeSend Returns offers a secure system to view and sign your e-file authorization form(s). Look for HTTPS:// at the beginning of the site URL and a locked padlock symbol in your browser’s URL bar to confirm you are on the secure site.
The questions SafeSend Returns asks are knowledge-based questions pulled from government and credit sources. You may be asked questions such as where you lived in a given year, or when you bought your car or home. In the event the questions do not apply to you, simply choose the answer that accurately reflects this. If you don’t remember the answers to the questions, or you answer incorrectly, you won’t be able to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s). You can instead print, sign and return your e-file authorization form(s) to CBM.
SafeSend Returns allows you to electronically sign your individual e-file authorization form(s), but it won’t submit your return to the IRS. Once signed, CBM is automatically notified, and we will then complete the filing process for you, including submission to the IRS.
For spouses filing jointly, there are three ways to sign via SafeSend Returns:
• If both spouses have an email address on file, both will receive an email with a link to view the return and sign the e-file authorization form(s). First, one spouse will receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him or her. He or she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and input the spouse’s email address, which will send an email link to the second spouse. The second spouse will answer identity verification questions specific to him or her and then sign the form(s).
• If only one spouse has an email address on file, that spouse will first receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him or her. He or she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and then enter an email address for the second spouse. The second spouse will then receive the email link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. Once the second spouse electronically signs the e-file authorization form(s), CBM will be notified that signing is complete.
• If a couple shares an email address, the primary signer will first receive a link with identity verification questions specific to him or her. After the primary signer signs the e-file authorization form(s), he or she can then enter the shared email address again. A new link will be sent with identity verification questions specific to the second spouse.
CBM will deliver your dependent’s return using SafeSend Returns. However, some dependents may not have sufficient government and financial data available to successfully complete the electronic signature process. If there is not enough data available, your dependent will be given the option to download and sign their forms.
While an electronic signature is certainly easier and more convenient, you can still print, sign and mail your e-file form(s) back to CBM if you’d prefer to do so.
Yes, once you sign your e-file authorization form(s), you will receive an email stating it was successful. The email will also include a link to download a copy of your tax return for your records.
In limited circumstances, you may need to print and mail information to government authorities. Common examples include tax and estimate payment vouchers and local income tax returns. If forms need to be printed and mailed, you will receive clear instructions. You will also be provided options to make tax payments electronically if you prefer not to mail payments.