Jordan P. Egert, CPA, CFE, CDFA®,
Senior Manager, Litigation Support and Forensic Services
Jordan Egert is a senior litigation support and forensic services manager with Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, P.C. (CBM). Mr. Egert has more than 11 years of experience in financial analysis, personal and closely held business tax matters, financial consulting for collaborative, mediated and litigated cases (including support and negotiation of settlement options) and forensic accounting engagements.
His work has involved accounting and financial planning/analysis for support and property division matters in divorce – including cash flows, lifestyle and budget preparation/examination, retirement projections, tax projections, asset and liability division (including tax ramifications), tracing of commingled and separate assets, marital waste and spending analysis, hidden/sheltered asset identification, alimony and child support matters, closely held entity forensic engagements, public record searches, and strategy development. Mr. Egert has substantial experience in tax compliance matters in years which spouses become divorced. He has been involved with numerous cancellation of debt tax matters as they relate to real estate assets (backed by both recourse and non-recourse debt instruments).
Mr. Egert is recognized as an expert in his field – he has assisted with negotiations for over 100 collaborative divorce cases and over 75 litigated divorce cases – both directly with clients and attorneys and has qualified as an expert witness in divorce financial matters. He is qualified to appear before the courts as a financial expert by Maryland and the District of Columbia in accounting, forensic accounting, divorce financial planning and consulting, and tax matters.
Professional Qualifications and Education
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Divorce Financial Analyst
- Collaboratively Trained
- MBA from Florida Atlantic University
- Qualified as a financial expert in Maryland and the District of Columbia
- 2020 GWSCPA Margaret Deboe Leadership Program Graduate
Professional Associations and Activities
- Member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Member of Maryland Society of Accounting and Tax Professionals (MSATP)
- Member of the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts (IDFA)
- Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia
- Treasurer of the Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia Board (CPNV)
Point of View:
People do not care how much you know, until they know how much you care. I find this Teddy Roosevelt quote inspiring and it enhances my mantra that a client interaction shouldn’t be just about the numbers and conclusions but also about developing and embracing a professional relationship as well.
A past mentor for me was a graduate studies business teacher – this teacher continued challenging me, even when a level of excellence was already reached.
My greatest inspiration is derived from the outdoors, nature, and exploration of the world around us. I am enamored with taking it all in, in any manner (hiking, trekking, biking, running, travelling). It’s hard to describe, but I achieve a sense of completeness when I interact with both my natural surroundings and new cultures,
- September 21, 2021 – Grow Your Net Worth: Top Strategies and Opportunities for Mid-Career Professionals
- October 8, 2020 – Grow Your Net Worth: Financial Planning for Mid-Career Stage Professionals
- October 7,2020 – Working During COVID-19 (for Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia)
- September 10, 2020 – Grow Your Net Worth: Financial Planning for Early Career-Stage Professionals
- January 21, 2020 – Grow Your Net Worth: Top Strategies for Retirement and Post-Career Planning (including an Overview of the SECURE Act)
- January 14, 2020 – Retirement Assets in Family Law Cases
- 12 December, 2019 – Year-end Financial Planning, Investments and Tax Planning
- August 22, 2019 – Understanding Retirement Accounts During a Divorce or Separation
- May 9, 2019 – Grow Your Net Worth: Top Strategies for Retirement and Post-Career Planning
- March 28, 2019 – Grow Your Net Worth – Top 10 Strategies and Missed Opportunities for Younger Professionals
- March 14, 2019 – Grow Your Net Worth: Top Strategies and Planning Opportunities for Mid-Career Professionals
- February 13, 2019 – Grow Your Net Worth: Top 10 Strategies and Missed Opportunities For Younger Professionals
- What is your favorite memory? The second before and after opening the envelope containing my CPA passing notification.
- Where is your favorite place to spend time? Chile
- What is one item on your bucket list? How about two: 1. Learn to do a backflip 2. Trek through Southeast Asia
- What are four to five words you think describe you. Unique, Witty, Insightful, Curious, Welcoming
- What do you want people to remember most about you? My commitment to providing to those in need